I love a good professional spray tan but I am also stuck at home for the foreseeable future. While I’m totally down with being pale and love living that #vampire “no sun” lifestyle, I still like to have a little bit of color or else I look sickly. Even when I do get professional spray tans I will use these at-home tactics to maintain my professional tan for as long as I can. I’ve tried A LOT, and I mean A LOT of sunless tanners over the years and these are the ones that have worked best for me and give me the best color.
- I have gotten so good at at-home sunless tanning that I have a schedule in my head of when I will need to exfoliate, when I will need to get rid of old tan, how long tan will last, etc. I try to have in my head the night that I am going to shower, exfoliate, and remove any older tan. For this I like to use the St. Tropez Tan Removing Mousse along with the Exfoliating Mitt. I basically just take the foam and pump it into the exfoliating mitt and aggressively rub my legs, knees, feet, arms, elbows, basically anywhere there may be old sunless tanner. This is so important because you want a blank canvas for the sunless tanner, even if you’ve had some on before, it’s gotta come off. You will know you’re doing this right if you start to see brown in the shower water. The act of rubbing the skin with the exfoliating mitt will also manually exfoliate your skin to give a smooth base for sunless tanner.
- After I’ve dried off from the shower I will put a dirt old towel down on the bedroom floor in front of the big mirror and set up shop with my Loving Tan Medium Mouse and my favorite brown tanning mitt with thumb holes. I personally do this process buck ass naked on my floor to make sure I don’t make any mistakes. I will apply 2 pumps per arm, 3 pumps per leg, and one point for across the chest.
- After the Loving Tan dries for while I will go back in with some body lotion mixed with a couple of drops of Isle of Paradise just to give it a little bump.
- Finally, I use the St. Tropez Luminous Veil face tanning cream and I love it.
- So after that extensive tanning process you may be thinking that you’re good for a couple of weeks, right? Oh no, you have to maintain your tan or else it will start to come off in spots and streaks and won’t look good. I like to start daily moisturizing with Jergens Natural Glow the second day after getting a spray to keep the color longer. Sometimes I will even add in the Isle of Paradise drops to the Natural Glow if I’m feeling adventurous.
- If you’ve got somewhere to go in the public or just want to look bomb for that 2pm zoom call, get yourself some Drunk Elephant Sunshine Drops, aka a daily application of a dark serum/bb cream hybrid that makes your skin look like you just got a fresh spray from the versaspa. I use these drops right after primer and before foundation.
- Charlotte Tilbury Supermodel Body is just that … think of it as Giselle in a bottle. You roll this stuff on your legs and you immediately look like you could walk the spring summer catwalk for haute couture at Paris Fashion Week. I know this stuff is pricey, but I have yet to find something cheaper like this that gives the same effect.
So, those are my tips and products that I use to get a convincible at-home sunless tan. What do you all do? Let me know in the comments!