I bet that very few of you all know that I entered into college as a Dietetics major and actually wanted to be a Dietician. I used to be obsessed with eating healthy and exercising. Once I got to experience the beast of organic chemistry, I soon gave up that major, but nutrition still interested me. After college (and even up until this past year), though, I fell by the wayside and started eating really badly. I ate pop-tarts and cupcakes almost every other day. I would eat pizza and nasty food throughout the day and then at night I’d eat more sweets.
Over the past year Rob has started eating clean, and more recently, he has given up all processed foods, refined sugars, animal products, and has lost around 30 pounds and the dark circles under his eyes have completely disappeared.
It’s definitely in his family to be a health food guru as evidenced by his Mom and his sister #1 and sister #2. I am really proud of him for eating clean and having the will power to not touch bad foods.
Lately I have been feeling like crap- I am moody, anxious, wound up, generally melancholy and not sleeping well. I decided that I was going to try this lifestyle change for a couple of weeks to see if it helps. Plus I’m already a vegetarian, so I figured this wouldn’t be too hard to delve into.
I am on week 1 and I must say that I have more energy than I did before when I was eating bad. I now only have caffeine in the mornings (you all know this is huge for me). I used to drink Starbucks throughout the whole day and even at night. I don’t know that I’ll completely give up caffeine, but I may try to. I have also given up all dairy in hopes of clearing up some sinus issues as well as clearer skin.
So, what do we eat? Here are some examples of things that we have every day:
1) Organic Banana/Date/Greens Smoothie + Flax Seed Supplement- Rob gets the boxes of organic bananas at whole foods and combines them with medjool dates he orders from California. We then throw in organic baby greens and a flax seed supplement.
2) Corn Pasta + Organic Sauce- this is normally what we have for dinner. Corn pasta doesn’t contain gluten and we just get any organic sauce. It’s been really hard to give up parmesan cheese, but I’ve gotten used to it now.
3) Blueprint Juices – I really enjoy these, especially the Carrot/Lemon and the Ginger/Lemon. I don’t use them for a cleanse, but just drink them throughout the day.
4) Whole Foods Kale Superfood Salad- I get this almost 2 times a week- It’s on their salad bar.
5) Dairy Free Probiotics Kefir- probiotics are a big part of your immune system as well as keeping your stomach in tip top shape.
I’m really into the smoothie/juices thing and since we have a juicer and a blender I want to get more into making those. Do you all have any good recipes to share?