Recently I asked my favorite people in the world, my Instagram followers, for recommendations for a mystery/thriller book to listen to on my long drive home from Chicago. Have you delved into the book on tape thing? If not, you totally should! I drive A LOT for my job, so it makes total sense for me to listen to books on tape because it makes the drive go by so much faster. I like to listen to them when I walk, when I’m doing computer work, or pretty much any time with my phone. Don’t get me wrong, I love the traditional method of reading a good paper book, but books on tape are just so easy! The best way to get them is with Audible, or you can buy them in iTunes, but with audible you just pay a monthly fee.
I was elated to get, seriously, like 100 messages about people’s book recommendations. There were a few off the wall choices which I may look into at another time, but as far as the most recommended books, these are it! I have read/listened to some of these, but not all of them. I am slowly working through the ones that I haven’t listened to … I get so excited to start a new book on tape! Mystery/Suspense/Thrillers are my thing … I literally lost it over Gone Girl and have since watched the movie at least 50 times while plotting in my head where I would go if I ever “Gone Girled” Ronnie (kidding, kidding).
- The Memory Watcher by Minka Kent– this one is about a woman who ends up stalking the family that adopted her baby from her … sounds like a Lifetime movie I’ve seen before if you ask me! I haven’t listened to this one yet, but it’s on my list!
- The Breakdown by B.A. Paris– I’m seeing a theme with all of these book synopses … they all remind me of a lifetime movie that I’ve seen. LOL. This one is about a woman who witnesses an accident on a dark road and doesn’t report it and then starts feeling guilty about what she could have done.
- The Good Girl by Mary Kubica– this book is still one of my all time favorite mystery books! I didn’t love the ending but it seriously kept my attention the entire time and I couldn’t put it down. This one is about a girl who gets kidnapped but ends up falling for her captor.
- You by Caroline Kepnes– this one has such good ratings on Good Reads, as do most of her books. This one is about a guy that works in a bookstore stalking a customer. Again, the more stalking the better in my mind.
- Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes– This is the second book to the first one, You, by Caroline Kepnes. The stalker moves to Los Angeles and stalks some more people, I guess. Sounds good to me.
- In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware– I read this one on my last flight and it was okay … it wasn’t one of my faves. People rave about it though, and I usually love Ruth Ware books. This one is about a bachelorette party gone bad in the woods.
- The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson– OMG! This one is so good! You have to read this if you haven’t already. It’s about a man in a bad marriage who gets someone to help kill his wife, but there’s so much more to it than that.
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware– I have heard more people talk about this book lately, and for some reason I just haven’t gotten around to reading it! The Woman in Cabin 10 is about a murder on a cruise ship. Say no more.
- Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris– okay, the tagline on this one had me from first glance, “the perfect marriage, or the perfect lie?” Fine, twist my arm. I’ll read it!
I should also add that a lot of people also recommended The Couple Next Door, but I honestly hated that book. Into the Water was highly recommended as well, but I could only pick 9 for aesthetic reasons with the collage 😉
Do you all have any other books I need to add to my list? I am open to anything! Let me know in the comments 🙂